Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Hooked by Liz Fichera
Paperback, 368 pages
Published January 29th 2013 by Harlequin Teen
ISBN: 0373210728 (ISBN13: 9780373210725)

Rating: 3.5 Stars

Summary:

When Native American Fredricka ‘Fred’ Oday is invited to become the only girl on the school’s golf team, she can’t say no. This is an opportunity to shine, win a scholarship and go to university, something no one in her family has done.

But Fred’s presence on the team isn’t exactly welcome — especially not to rich golden boy Ryan Berenger, whose best friend was kicked off the team to make a spot for Fred.

But there’s no denying that things are happening between the girl with the killer swing and the boy with the killer smile...

GET HOOKED ON A GIRL NAMED FRED.


HE said: Fred Oday is a girl? Why is a girl taking my best friends spot on the boy's varsity golf team?

SHE said: Can I seriously do this? Can I join the boys' team? Everyone will hate me - especially Ryan Berenger.

HE said: Coach expects me to partner with Fred on the green? That is crazy bad. Fred's got to go - especially now that I can't get her out of my head. So not happening.

SHE said: Ryan can be nice, when he's not being a jerk. Like the time he carried my golf bag. But the girl from the rez and the spoiled rich boy from the suburbs? So not happening.

 

Ranting:

(3.5 stars)
Okay so I liked this book, just not as much as I thought I would. The story is really unique: a Native American on a golf team falling for the golden boy. And he's the one falling harder.
The cover is deceiving. No me gusta. You would think that this book would be much steamier than it is. Seriously, they ,like, never kissed. Ever. Grrrrr. Like I said it's deceiving. I didn't say I didn't like it. I do. Love it actually, but it was more like what it MAY be like in the future.
And Liz Fichera uses some weird words.
Ex.
Cheddar=money
And in one sentence she used epic as a bad thing. Epic means it amazing and way cool. It was something you'll never forget. Ever. It's something special. This is how is where it should be used--> yummy looking ice cream, good game plays, complimenting (Dude, the way you landed the half-pipe was epic)
Cheddar is cheese, not money.
Overall I thought the way the author dealed with racism was good, but not as good as it could have been. She mostly addressed it with Ryan and Seth. Ryan was the one who was bothered by it and Seth was just an idiot. I also thought it was convenient how they all had crappy parental units.
The way they brought in Ryan's mom (how her and Fred met) was adorable. I. Loved. It.
I loved the way the other's on the Rez were supportive of Fred. It just shows how loved she is even when she doesn't know it. Hahaha. And she seriously doesn't know it. Buuuuut, they weren't even really in the book for like the first half.
I liked how Liz tied in the motorcycle thing with Seth and Ryan. Clever.

Overall the transitions and the way everything tied together was really good, but it lacked on the whole believability (Cheddar) and needed to dig a bit deeper.

+This book was addicting: finished in a couple of hours

****I was provided a free copy from Goodreads First Reads in exchange for a honest review****


 -Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment